Ever the partier, I went to two cremaillières (house warming parties) this weekend.
Both were hosted by members of AVF and they were nice get togethers. Friday night's party was in an apartment complex across the street from us, which was so so handy, but Saturday night's was a bit further away and a bit complicated to get to in the evening without the bus.
I decided to go by bike, which kind of worried B because the bike is kind of old and I was wearing sandals and didn't have a helmet, so he came with me (and promptly had a great time chatting with all the AVF people).
I have to say, night time bicycling is really awesome. There's no glare from the sun, it's refreshingly cool, and there isn't much traffic. All the streets were really well lit and it felt wonderful to zoom along feeling the breeze. B asked me how I felt using a method of locomotion that didn't include gasoline, and it was nice to realize that it's completely normal to get around on bike in France. A couple times I biked to work at the library in San Diego when I was in high school, but I didn't do it much because 1) that wasn't the thing people really did and 2) I arrived dripping with sweat because there were several hills between my house and the library and I felt really yucky starting work like that.
I also felt very French biking in a skirt and a nice top which I'd picked for the party since I normally wear shorts or clothes I don't care about to go bike riding. I'm not sure if I'll ever go bike riding in heels though, which I have seen, believe it or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment