Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ack

Man, I'm dying under sentences like "I'm agree with they" and "She do her homework" with all my tutoring this week. Also things like "Want, that's 'pouvoir' right?" and "Could means 'coude' (elbow) right?"

My mom is already talking to me about wedding announcements and invitations. I'm starting to think we should have gone with my surprise ceremony idea where we'd ask everyone out into the garden and then announce we were getting married right then and there.

We have caller id, and B used it to not answer when his mom called last night to avoid another 45 minute conversation about the wedding. And it's only been a week. I can't imagine the craziness of spending a year to plan a wedding and all the "helpful" phone calls.

What I knew would happen, but is still surprising, is all the "Oh but you have to...." sentences. B's colleague who said dragées were a must, because not having them is bad luck. My mother who says announcements make people feel good, and are thus necessary. B's mom who worries about a dance floor because young people just have to dance.

I told B that we should just use the French/American excuse any time it worked for us (even if it's untrue): Oh no, we won't have dragées, because they don't do that in America. Oh no, no announcements because the French don't do that. No registry because in America/France they don't do that.

Pretty handy, huh? Just blame it on the other country, depending on who you're talking with.

I'm hoping that the weddings(s) will just be a sidenote in a fall filled with starting my Masters in Communication, getting my drivers license, renewing my carte de séjour, and building more of my life in Toulouse. This September is the first time I've ever been in the same place in France as I was in the spring. I can return to my dance school, instead of start at a new one, and meet up with friends from last year, instead of starting over with none.

3 comments:

BlondeInFrance said...

Are the people who are making these suggestions going to pay for them? In that, I would let them do whatever they wanted, lol. But "I am agree with you" that you have lots of other things to celebrate and it seems silly they're making the biggest fuss over the one you wish they wouldn't. I totally think we should have huge parties every time we even have to look at the prefecture.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement! Weddings bring out the worst in mothers...BEWARE!

Emily Marie said...

Congratulations!! I've dealt with all the preparations of a wedding in France so if you have any questions..just ask!