Thursday, August 7, 2008

the heat.....the lack of sleep.....my computer....

I don't think I've had a good night's sleep since last week.

Saturday night I didn't sleep much because it was so hot, and sleeping in on Sunday morning didn't make up for the lost hours. Ever since, I haven't had a restful night's sleep.

All this week I've been tutoring from 9am-noon, and with each progressive day that I don't sleep well it becomes harder. I take a unisom each night because there's no other way to fall asleep, and even with that, I wake up during the night.

Our apartment is on the ground floor facing east, and it's still incredibly hot. We do our best to keep the light out and the fans on, but last night at 11pm it was 32° inside (and 27° outside I think, but the bugs kept us from completely opening up).

To top it all off, I discovered that my computer wouldn't wake up from the sleep setting when I tried to start it up again after our dinner guests had left last night. After a few unsuccessful tries I figured I would just reboot. And then I remembered that I hadn't saved the document I'd spent an hour on in the afternoon. Planning ahead and all, I'd prepared a number of sentences to correct or chose the right fill-in-the-blank for my student and I'd drawn from all the things we'd covered so far. My student speaks English really well, but still translates word to word at times (like calling bad traffic bad circulation), so I rooted around for a list of French idioms and English idioms and did some bad translating so I could work with him on correcting the phrases.

All gone. Gone, gone, gone. It wasn't horribly dramatic, and I still had things to do today, but I hate the idea that all that effort I put into it was for nothing. I don't know if I have the courage to recreate it. One of those things, as well, where you know the second try won't be as good as the original.

Here's to hoping the morning clouds will last all day and keep it cool enough to allow me to sleep tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.