Sunday, October 5, 2008

Some recent movie viewings

B and I have watched a few movies recently, and I'd thought I'd mention them briefly.

For my general culture, as B says, we watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark this afternoon. I've only seen parts of the other Indiana Jones movies, and it was appropriately silly/funny/implausible with Indy never running out of ammunition but his enemies did. We're sure to follow up with the others.

This evening (wait, two movies in one day! we haven't done that since our days in Ariège!) we watched Last Kiss. I like Zach Braff and when I saw the dvd for sale at a Hollywood video that was closing in San Diego last year, I bought it. Watching the extras, I found out it's a copy of an Italian film, L'ultimo Bacio. Over all very good, but there was still something missing. The movie takes a very realistic look at the difficulties of relationships, starting with a group of friends turning 30, but I guess there wasn't enough set up in the beginning of the movie for me to identify with all the characters and really feel for them as they went through their problems. I'd still recommend it though.

A few weeks ago we saw Les Deux Mondes, which was "divertissent" for the evening. Benoît Poelvoorde plays an art restorer who is magically pulled from Paris into a parallel world where he has to help a group of primitive people. I had a hard time getting into the movie, but it turned out really sweet, with some laughs. The plot is really unconventional, but in the end it works and I liked it.

About the same time as Les Deux Mondes, we watched Ma Vie n'est pas une Comédie Romantique. Funny and sweet, we enjoyed this movie. It is, of course, a romantic comedy, but tries to take a more realistic approach to revealing the relationship. Gilles Lellouche stars and he did a great job in the role. B and I agreed that there's a weird plot element near the end involving some of the supporting characters, but it's not like the film was trying to win a César. It was cute and fun and that's all we asked for.

No comments: