Apparently this is the French name for country music you can line dance to.
B's cousin celebrated his birthday this past weekend and and once the 50 and older crowd had had a bit to drink they asked for "Madison" music and started to line dance. I was confused at first and asked if Madison was a singer or a group, and was told that no, it was a type of music. The second song was "Cotton Eye'd Joe" which of course was not danced correctly, but made me laugh.
Who would have thought that in the small common room of a French apartment building in Valence that people would be dancing to Cotton Eye'd Joe during a birthday party?
I wonder what the French think of as country then? The slow, twangy, ballads? Not that I'm an expert, but the country western bar I went to in San Diego always played peppy songs we could do the "Cowboy Cha-cha" to, and they were certainly considered country songs.
2 comments:
I have been questioned frequently by my parents-in-law AND my hubby as to what defines country and what isnt. I told them that the music that they love so much is called Bluegrass and while it certainly IS a type of country music what most people I know associate with the words Country Music is the sad twangy ballads about some poor sod who's luck is so low he clear ran out of it *hehe*. They often have festivals in the vilage near where they live and go dance to Bluegrass and from what I have seen MANY French people love this form of country. I cant see many of them listening to those ballads though :p
I love seeing French people line dancing. It's not like I'm some expert at home, but they all get very jealous when I tell them that we did square dancing in elementary school gym. Though perhaps they are just jealous I had gym every day.
Post a Comment