I had to take the TCF (Test de connaissance du Français) back in April, so I bought some books to help me prepare. I didn't finish them before the test, but I still use them and I wanted to recommend them to anyone looking to improve their French.
The first is Vocabulaire Progressif du Français, avancé by Claire Miquel, published by CLE International.
This workbook organizes vocabulary by themes and does a really good job of introducing the words and then helping you to understand them and retain them with exercises. I use this book on the train. The correction booklet is not necessary, especially if you have a French person who can take a look at your work.
The second book is Difficultés expliquées du Français for English Speakers, intermédiaire avancé, by Alain and Claudine Vercollier and Kay Bourlier, published by CLE International.
The husband and wife team teach French in western Canadian universities, and they've made the book out of explaining all the re-occurring mistakes they see with their students. If you've already got a solid grasp of French grammar, this book helps straighten out those last few habits of word for word translation and explains various differences between French and English. The format is a bit more textbook-y, with an explanation of the rule, some examples, and then some exercises to make sure you've learned the lesson. The extra correction booklet is a must, unless someone can sit down and really look at what you've done. B isn't patient enough to correct grammar exercises, and I can work more independently with the correction book.
I admit I've used the grammar book much less than the vocabulary workbook, but it's a nice resource when I want to look up the difference between tout and tous and B can't explain why some verbs use à before them, and others de.
Speaking of which, I need to review how to translate phrases like "I feel like drinking", and "She had to give up dancing" (J'ai envie de boire, and Elle a dû renoncer à dancer)
No comments:
Post a Comment