Friday, August 3, 2007

Pounding the Pavement and my new book

Wednesday I took a train at 8am into Toulouse, arriving about 9:20. I spent the entire day walking from language school to language school, with a few museums and the national orchestra in between. Teaching English in a language or test prep school is a surer bet, but what I'd really like to get into is working for a museum, an orchestra, or a dance company. The large problem with finding a job in a museum or with the orchestra is that no one seems to really know what's going on. The welcome desk attendant tells me to send a résumé to City Hall, but that as far as who runs the museum, it's just her and a director (riiiiight). At the Human Resources department for the city, I ask what kind of jobs there are in the orchestra (so that I can say in my cover letter "oh, you have a music librarian. I could be the assistant music librarian), how it's organized, run, etc. Now, this is Human resources, remember. The answer: "Oh, we don't really know who works for the orchestra. No, we don't know who they employ or what jobs there are."

After walking I don't know how many miles under the sun (and getting a sunburn) with my sandals that used to be comfortable but now rub the bottom of my feet in a strange way and make my heels hurt after several hours, I cracked when I saw part of the Garonne that reminded me of a beach back home. I was homesick and hot and all I wanted to do was go to the beach, so instead I cried a little bit.

I shouldn't say the day was negative because there was one language school that seemed really interested and I have an interview scheduled with another that wasn't open to visitors on Wednesday. It was just tough to have such a wide variety of responses. After all, I didn't change, but sometimes people were interested and gave me good information, other times they just took my résumé (or didn't take it) and asked why I was there again (Because I'm looking for work?).

Yesterday was such a gray day that it didn't make much difference if the curtains were closed or opened; it was still dim and gray inside. I tend to be solar powered, or perhaps solar motivated, so I didn't feel up to doing much. Plus the internet was wacko, and there's a weird mechanism that if the internet doesn't work, I can't do much else on my computer, even if it doesn't involve the internet. So about 11am, I went out to check the mail, and there was a package from Amazon! Harry Potter year 7 arrived! I'm trying to not be like B when he read it two weeks ago. I read for a bit yesterday, then I checked on the defrosting fridge that I'd started before opening the book, and then went back to my book. I stayed up later than B to keep reading, but I was very reasonable and turned out the light at 1am.

Today there is blue sky with little puffy clouds, so I think it will turn out well. B left me some cash he got from an ATM last night, so I'll buy some bread, maybe make a cake for tonight, and work on my job search. I might even put away the towels that are drying on the backs of chairs in the living room. Heavens, I have an inkling that I'll do all the dishes in the sink.

Crazy crazy day ahead of me!

2 comments:

The Late Bloomer said...

Hang in there! Sounds like you're doing a heck of a lot in your job search, and I'm sure someone is going to reward your persistence and determination. That's the way to do it! I agree that work in a museum or an artistic structure of some sort would definitely be much more interesting, and a great way to start out, so you never know...

Hope you're resting after all that walking yesterday and taking care of the sunburn -- be sure to put some après-soleil on that! Avène makes an excellent one, you can get it in pharmacies.

Thanks so much for the suggestions for my niece! You're absolutely right, we all love stationery at that age -- sparkly pens, notebooks, colored pencils, pencil cases, etc... And it's true that they have so much selection here in France, completely different things from back home. Plus, with la Rentrée coming up in a few weeks, there will be so much out there. I even have a huge Maison de la Presse down the street from my office, so I might check that out tonight after work.

Merci mille fois !

Relatos de Tierra said...

The orchestra part was very funny...
jejje; I havo no idea in what you can work sir....
I liked the post.

See you