Friday, August 1, 2008

confusing....

I was an English Assistant last year, and when my contract was not renewed, I registered as unemployed.

The process was kind of long and complicated by the fact that my status is determined by Assedic and ANPE, but the benefits I receive are from the Academie. I just found out, for instance, that the pay stubs I was dutifully mailing away to Nantes or Niort according to the instructions from Assedic were supposed to be sent to the unemployment benefits department of the Academie, right here in Toulouse (no one explained that of course...). The Academie doesn't have a fancy website though where you can check up on your file, like you can with Assedic if worked in the private sector.

Last summer I got a letter saying I qualified for benefits, and that I would get 22€ a day for 221 days (or about that). That works out to be 500€ and change each month for about 7 months. Last July I got paid, but then my carte de séjour was no longer valid, so I didn't receive benefits again until January more or less, when I had my new carte de séjour and had reopened my file.

The amount of my benefits was lower in May and June, so I figured it was the end, and they had split up the odd amount they owed me into two payments. Then I got a letter about sending my pay stubs for the tutoring I'd done.

And yesterday I noticed I'm about to be credited 1.220€. I have no idea why.

Not that I'm complaining.... Each time I think my benefits are over, I start getting money again.

Now we can think about getting the car tuned up and B can get new glasses.

4 comments:

J said...

Yeah, I'm not even trying to understand all the unemployment stuff. I got a letter from my academie about 10 days ago saying that I'd receive 23 euros [brut] a day for 213 days, but I have no idea when and I could really use it to help pay rent right about now...

But hey, 1200 euros when you're not expecting it is always nice!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Free money! Tant pis I don't qualify for the unemployment because I quit a month early...ahhh well, it was worth it!

L said...

My July payment didn't actually come till around October, when I was in the States applying for my new visa. They'll probably catch up with the payments in the fall, and you'll get July and August in a lump payment. Of course that doesn't help right now, but at least you'll get something.

Anonymous said...

I am constantly being surprised by the French benefits system. Last year I had an unexpected payment of 900 Euros, which was very gratefully received.