I don't know where I got this idea, but I've been convinced that after 3 years in France, I shouldn't have any more culture shock. Perhaps I felt it was a sign of weakness, and I feel I've spent "enough" time in France that I shouldn't have any problems with cultural differences.
But it's not the case. I think for me, trying to fit in has made me question everything I do and say in an attempt to evaluate whether or not I did it "correctly". And if you're always asking yourself "Oh wait, is that right? Did I screw up?" you're not going to be a model of self-confidence.
I came across this interesting blog, which talks about research in the field of culture shock. There's even an offer to participate in the author's research if you live in Paris.
Some of my favorite quotes:
"If cross-cultural transition is basically stress, what is adjustment?"
"Even if we are fabulous stress managers, if we go on breaching the same taboos, shocking and getting shocked over and over again with the same behaviours, we’ll waste lots of energy on coping and feeling ashamed."
Anyone read any of the books listed in the bibliography? I wonder if I can find any of the them in Toulouse. Anyone think they might participate in the study? Too bad for me you have to live in Paris.
2 comments:
Ooh, I'm intrigued and interested in participating. I haven't read through all the theories, but I'd like to have my "cultural shock" assessed, or at least learn a little about my (in)ability to adjust while living here. Thanks for the link.
Thanks for the link. Maybe you should contact them and ask if it's possible to do it at a distance? You never know.
I'm feeling a lot better than I used to. I kind of gave up on trying to fit in and do things correctly and I kind of have made it into a joke now like every time we're cutting the cheese I say 'uh oh, are you sure I should be doing this? I don't know the special French way to do it', so that usually deflects a lot of my insecurities..but the circles Christophe runs with don't really give a shit either.
Post a Comment