Monday, August 18, 2008

C'est officiel

My computer hard drive is dead. And this being August and France and all, it'll be one to two weeks for them to replace it (I'm betting on closer to two).

B is using his day off this week to visit his family, so he'll bring back my old clunker laptop we leave at his parents' place so I can have email and typing/printing access.

This is of course a reminder of why it's a good idea to backup your computer. My laptop was a year old to the day when it started having problems, and it just kind of died from one day to the next. Like I said before, I have a backup from 2 weeks ago, which means that they only things I'll lose are, you guessed it, worksheets I made for teaching.

In the meantime, B and I are hobbling about with our sore muscles. B said he couldn't face the stairs at work this morning and took the elevator. That's what happens when you go on a 7 hour hike. I'm also dealing with the mountain of laundry which was the by product of our weekend (it's funny how having fun usually means lots of cleaning/washing afterwards).

As a side note, I was on About.com's site for learning French in order to get lists of idioms in French (my student is saying things like "They found the death" as in "Ils ont trouvé la mort") and I have to say that Laura K. Lawless's site leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps it's her bio that doesn't convince me she's a real expert in French. Or that on her list of things that are French in English (French bread, braid, dressing, etc) she refuses to translate French kiss as "rouler une pelle" and leaves it at "baiser avec la langue", even though lots of people have commented on that in the forum. (Side note: wordreference defines "Frenching" as performing oral sex, as in "She Frenched him last night" means she gave him a blow job. I would have said that just means they made out, but perhaps I never learned what that expression really means?!?? Or that wordreference is wrong.) Maybe About.com's site just seems bad because I'm so much further along than the average visitor. I don't really need to take the test "Do you know your colors in French?" after all. LKL's audience are people who want to learn French in order to visit the fabled never never land of Paris without dog poop or grumpy waitors and for whom Lyon is in Southern France (Montélimar is the limit, fyi).

I'm sure that once B sees this post he'll accuse me of typing too hard on his delicate keyboard, so I'll stop complaining and get back to organizing and cleaning up.

1 comment:

J said...

I so agree with Laura Lawless not being fluent in French! She makes way too many mistakes... And you're right, her bio shows that she's not an expert. She just moved to France this year I think, and she originally studied Spanish... I don't know, she's not what I expect and I don't like "learning" from her. Plus About.com's site is so badly designed, even after the redesign, that it takes forever to find any real content. it's all sponsored links or links to other pages that leads to another page of more links!!! so aggravating! There are some good things about the site, but overall it's a waste of time. You can find useful stuff elsewhere.