B picked up a July copy of the magazine Marianne at work with an article about machismo and equality for women in France.
It was definitely an interesting read, and it concluded that women still face a glass ceiling and are often judged much harsher than their male colleagues, which makes performance review based promotions that much harder. Women should be pretty, but not too sexy, and have a sense of authority, but without being authoritarian.
Then I came across the movement Females in Front. They bring up the point that at the treaty of Rome in 1957, there wasn't a single female leader, and in Portugal in 2007, the picture still hadn't changed.
I wonder how much France will change over the next few years. I heard there will soon be a new law that is much stricter with the requirements for political parties and the number of female candidates they present. The article in Marianne said that women who are really interested in moving up in their career head to anglo-saxon countries...
1 comment:
I work in a "man's domain" and I definitely feel the sexism in the work place. A lot of that is probably due to the rural location, but I've really had to fight to get my clients to respect me and to stop saying things like "Why don't you go ask a man first and then get back to me?". It was really frustrating at first because I grew up in a very rural area and it wasn't something I'd ever experienced before!
Post a Comment