I got a call yesterday from a friend of a student I'm tutoring who wanted to know if I could give her a lesson before Thursday, when she has her exam.
I almost said no, because I barely have any free time because of other tutoring and physical therapy, but we agreed to meet this morning.
I think I started regretting it as soon as I hung up the phone. I wanted to earn the money, and I know her desperate situation (even if it's kind of her fault she got around to finding a tutor so late), but I really needed Tuesday morning open.
As I'm getting dressed this morning and hurrying to get out the door for the lesson, I check my cell phone. One message received: I have to go to my parents' place earlier than I thought, so I can't have the lesson today. Sorry!
I would have complained about getting up early when I didn't have to, but now I can go to Carrefour and buy our much needed groceries when half of Toulouse won't be there. Oh well for the 20-25€ I would have earned.
And word to the wise for anyone looking for tutoring students: the English assistant at the IUFM (my tutoring students) leaves at the end of March (6 month contract), but their exams are in June. A lot of students need/want extra practice for the oral exam in English which involves reading a news article out loud, summarizing, providing some analysis, and responding to a few questions from a jury. I wasn't very proactive about it, but if you want lots of students in the spring, put up signs and talk to students hanging around the IUFM starting in April.
No comments:
Post a Comment