B and I are headed back to our old stomping grounds this weekend in Ariège. We're playing in a band festival today and tomorrow
More than my carte de séjour (which cost 275 frickin' euros plus $135 for the visa), I now have an investment in France that will keep me here for a few more years at least: I signed up for driver's Ed in order to get a French driver's license. I paid 200€ to start, but it'll be around 650€ when I'm done since the unlimited classroom hours plus the written and driving test cost 570€ and I'll add on a couple of hours of behind-the-wheel à la carte.
Time to get packing: after the band festival I'm heading straight to B's parent's place in the Gard and B will arrive Monday. We're staying there for the week of B's vacation and celebrating his birthday. A little beach, a little Montpellier, a little playing with the cat and dog, and eating exactly at noon and wearing slippers so I don't catch my death by walking barefoot (B's parents worry a lot).
4 comments:
Yikes! why are you paying so much for driver's ed????? if you already have an american license you don't have to pay for the 20 hours and all that jazz. I also found out you can study the "code" on your own and then pass it as "canidat libre" at the prefecture - so as not to pay the autoecole to do it for you. Then take your proof that you passed the code to the autoecole and just sign up for the driving exam.
I know I don't have to do the 20 hours of driving, but I signed up for the driver's ed in part because it was really hard to figure out how to be a candidat libre (the Préfecture didn't even offer any info on how to do that) and mostly because my in-laws really wanted me to take the classes. No one thought it would be a good idea for me to just study on my own. I've also heard that if you're a candidat libre, it takes forever to get a test date with the Préfecture. It's a shame to spend that much money, but my in-laws are now reassured that I'm doing the "right thing".
That's so ridiculous how expensive your CDS is. And the driving lessons! That makes me angry for you!!
Well the only good thing to come from living for 5 years in Philadelphia was that PA has full reciprocity with France for driver licenses. No école, no test, just a money exchange. Still I don't highly recommend living in PA.
Post a Comment