Thursday, April 24, 2008

Random observation

I know self-check out lines at supermarkets are pretty common in the States and very rare here in France, but I paid by check the other day at my butcher and I was reminded of the very cool way most stores accept checks here: a special machine takes your check, and prints all the info on it like the amount, the order, the date. All you do is sign.

I'm still no used to it and often times I'll start filling out the check and then the SNCF clerk or butcher reminds me "Just leave it blank!" I find this incredibly handy because then they don't have to read my spelling mistakes when I have to write out the numbers.

Next observation: the new ad campaign by the clothing store C & A is driving me crazy. They have yellow ads with huge print "Crazy Prices!!!" If the students I tutor are any indicator, that's really the limit of people's English comprehension. But more importantly, write it in French!

No comments: