Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Finding footing

I've been on an emotional roller coaster recently, but today was my first really good day in a while. It helped that yesterday I got the ball rolling yesterday on a couple things that will help me out, but it was really due to the fact that I taught 6 hours today between 3 students and got my hair cut.

Besides the earning money reward of working, I need something to prepare for and to accomplish. If I'm not required to be anywhere at any specific time, I don't do anything. It's not an acceptable excuse, but that's how I am. A work-from-home job is the last thing I'd ever want. I need to get out and interact with people.

And it's funny how finally going to the hairdresser's and getting that haircut you've been putting off can be such a morale boost. Between moving away from the great stylist I'd found last year and not having much cash, this inertia developed around me and my hair grew and grew. Hopefully this new momentum will stay with me.

I'm currently working my way through a couple history of Toulouse books, plus my good and trusty Sherlock Holmes (it's just so good!), and I'm now a listener/watcher of too many BBC and various podcasts and video podcasts due to my using them while tutoring.

I downloaded the NBC nightly news and had this weird feeling of nostalgia when the intro music started. I saw my parents' family room and the table and dinner almost ready. My parents have always watched the news and I grew up with 60 minutes and the like, but I didn't realize how much the intro music would make me think of lasagna and chicken with veggies and setting the table.

In case you haven't seen all the American nightly news reports 3 times plus listened to the NPR news podcast twice, you might not be aware that a break-away Mormon cult in Texas was raided last week after a teenage girl called a domestic abuse hotline. The whole thing is kind of weird and long, so check out an article, but if you're interested, the ABC news from yesterday includes some interviews with women from the cult. They are confused as to why the children living on the compound have been removed by Child Services. The way they talked about everything I almost thought I was watching an episode of X-Files or the Six Feet Under episode when 'Daddy' of the religious cult died and the family stayed around his body.

Now back to a little "How I met your mother" with B.....

No comments: