It's been forever since I've been to expatwomen.com, so I thought I'd check out the site again.
An article or two seemed interesting, but so much of it seems to be geared towards executives who are sent to some developing country with the wife trailing along. 'The difficulties of moving back to one's home country may include downscaling one's life.' Right. As if in France B and I have maids and a cook.
There was a story of a British woman who moved to the Loire valley to open a bed and breakfast and she mentioned an online radio station for expats she contributes to (expatsradio.com). I plan on applying for a Masters program so I can work in the media/culture field, so I checked out the site thinking "Maybe I could become involved in the site and gain some experience and have something more for my résumé."
But the site is replete with contributions from people who bought chateaus and old houses to make bed and breakfasts and tea shops and love to garden. Or weekly country music reports.
Maybe it's because I've been so intent on fitting in that these people that move to France to reproduce a little corner of England or Australia bug me. Or because I'm struggling so much with finding a job and figuring out what I'm going to do with my life and these people are worried about planting roses. The radio station seems to perpetuate the idea (myth) that's is easy and glorious to be an expat in sunny southern France.
There's an email address with an invitation 'Contact us if you think you have something to contribute!' but I don't think they'd be interested in a weekly radio report 'Under-employed and disgruntled in Toulouse'.
1 comment:
Pfffft. Tell me about it. I can't stand those bed and breakfast people. ;)
Post a Comment