Tuesday, April 1, 2008

For something light-hearted

I remember when I made my Facebook profile for the first time while I was studying abroad in Montpellier. I scrolled through the list of people who had listed my high school to add friends I hadn't heard from since graduation and actually uploaded pictures. Now I just use Facebook to see what my friends are doing back in the States and not become totally disconnected from their lives.

We've all been hearing about how Facebook was going to come to France. I came across a bunch of articles about how it was practically the holy grail and it was social networking at it's best. Lots of French people seemed to think that employers were going to troll profiles to find employees and people were going to make profiles to promote their careers (had they never ever used the site???).

Well, it's here, and B's friends and family are all making profiles. B finally made one too and he looked up colleagues and old friends. It's funny to see people acting like Facebook is new and exciting. I prefer it to MySpace because I find MySpace way too junked up with ads and links, but Facebook is not that special when you think about it. Now that it's open to everyone, Facebook hopes to make money off of advertisers that only want to target women who like Pride and Prejudice and When Harry Met Sally or runners or fans of Friends. I saw a report about a British business that analyzes profiles in order to help advertisers: "Well, 80% of the profiles listing poker as an activity are also interested in cars and beer pong. I think we can have beer and car ads appear on the page when they log in..."

Anyway, B is checking his profile all the time now to see who's accepted his friend requests and leaving comments everywhere. Those newbies, can't take them anywhere!

No comments: