I feel like a dumb American because I discovered a trashy reality series on MTV every day at 12:30. The title in French is "Les Rois de la Drague" (Pick-up kings) and 10 guys who are too scared to approach women or put their foot in their mouth every time they do are supposed to learn how to smooth talk and gain enough confidence in themselves. It's silly, it's MTV reality tv, but I never watched that stuff as a kid, so I'm catching up. If you ever saw Beauty and the Geek and liked it, it's up the same alley.
Anyway, yesterday was the potluck for AVF and I made Rice Krispie Treats, which turned out great and were a hit, and deviled eggs. I've never had so many problems making deviled eggs. First the eggs wouldn't hard boil. The yolks were cooked, but the whites were all mushy in the first two I opened. I put them back on the stove for another 10 minutes, and I wasted a third egg because it was still mushy. After a third boil, they were finally firm. I found out the hard way that super fresh eggs are difficult to peel. Apparently the older an egg, the more air in the air pocket and the more dehydrated the membrane, which means the yolks move to the middle making nice symmetrical boats and the shells are easy to peel off. I lost about half my egg whites because it came off with the shells. After all that, I finally made my deviled eggs, carefully placed them in a tupperware, and carefully placed that in a bag. And then I bumped my bag when I took the metro and it turned the tupperware sideways and all the eggs became one big clump that I had to sort out when I arrived. And someone commented at AVF when I opened the tupperware, "What's that smell? Oh, the eggs? Are you sure they're okay? We're not going to get sick if we eat them?"
All but two were eaten, so my efforts to save them were not in vain.
I'm going to blame the time change because I'm still not used to it being light at 8pm, but I've been really tired recently. I can't say I've had the most regular of schedules (going to bed at 2 am, sleeping till 11), but I feel exhausted when I wake up, instead of refreshed. I should send out resumés and cover letters because my second teaching job is looking less and less likely to ever happen, but I'd much rather crochet my afghan on the couch with a cup of tea.
Well, I'll compromise. A cup of tea while working on my job search.
No comments:
Post a Comment