Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My watch got dissed

I always wear a watch, have for years, and I have two different ones: one sporty one by Roxy that was water proof up to 300 ft when I bought it, and a classy sleek one my mom got me for Christmas a few years ago.

I've had to change the batteries more and more often recently and my Roxy one died last week which surprised me since I'd had it changed in September. I went to find my nice watch, only to discover it too was dead.

The Roxy watch has had the crystal changed, the watch band at least 4 times, and the battery 5 or 6 times as well, so I wasn't so hot on buying a new battery for it just yet.

I took my nice watch to a jewelry store today, only to be told that the mechanics need to be cleaned. Apparently the new battery didn't make it work again, which means it needs to be cleaned/repaired.

"Cleaning your watch would be between 35 and 45€, and based on the value of your watch, it might just be better to buy a new one with Swiss mechanics."

Well, my American watch might not have Swiss mechanics, but it cost my mom a bit over $100 at JC Penny several years ago! Buy a new watch indeed. Bulova is a perfectly good brand! And my Roxy watch was $70 way back in 1998 at the juniors department of Nordstrom.

"Good watches with Swiss mechanics start around 100€ and you can get a Guess or Calvin Klein for about 120€. They'll be of a much better quality." What, Bulova is so inferior?

Kind of ironic that I have two watches and neither works and I'll probably have to buy a new one. With Swiss mechanics.

No comments: