Monday, September 17, 2007

My father is officially oblivious.

If the game (any game) is on, he picks out a few words from what we're saying to make up what he'd like to hear. And he unabashedly tacks on analysis of the game or players to the end of any and all sentences: "Mmm, this meat is really good that was a foul!" No pause in between. He also loves to make comments when no one is around "You gotta block 'em!". Well, his comments don't really change if there are people around or not, part of the reason I find them so disconcerting.

B was surprised my dad kept the game on during dinner as well. We used to watch the evening news as a family during dinner, but not anymore. He said his mom would never let his dad get away with just vegging in front of the tv and not helping out. Not that my dad never lifts a finger, just usually in large, high profile jobs, like shopping and doing the yard work. He doesn't peel potatoes much.

My mom urged me to join her in her sewing room when we were done eating. She's suction cupped onto me in certain ways since I've been back. I know, I know, it's been a year, but I think it's more the fact that my dad is oblivious.

Well, time to chill out in my own space, finish my movie, and suck on a few Ice Breakers sours (before heading back up to analyze my mom's color choices for her quilt).

1 comment:

The Late Bloomer said...

Ooooo, I get the feeling of having your mom suction-cupped to you! That's a good way of putting it; I love my mom, but that's exactly how I've felt the last couple of times I've been back home -- it can be a bit overwhelming at times, especially when she's constantly asking questions! But it sounds like you're enjoying your time together as well.