Thursday, September 20, 2007

Bilan

So, good news, bad news.

I of course did not leave the Consulate today with a visa, but I do have an appointment for Monday afternoon, when they're listed as closed. I think it's actually an interview. When I finally got up to the window after standing in line for an hour and a half, the woman said they weren't doing long stay visas today, but that she would make an exception for me. How do they think people know which days they do do long stay visas? I'm really curious. And why should I ever bother making an appointment if they make everyone stand in the same first come-first serve line?

Anyway, I now have to get a police report and hopefully B's mutuelle can fax me a document saying I'll be covered under his insurance in France. One of the documents listed is "Proof of health insurance (including emergency return and liability of an amount of 30.000 euros) with coverage valid for France". Do I have this straight? They want me to buy expensive American insurance that won't be accepted by anyone in France while I'll be covered by the Sécu? Okay, just making sure.

I did get to chat with a very well styled air stewardess who was there for her flight attendant visa. We also chatted with an Iranian man who was in line between us with his wife and young daughter. People were mostly friendly in line, although I think one guy cut (I didn't know everyone's order). I overheard one guy saying that he had called multiple times trying to get some information, and one time they hung up on him mid sentence. My mom was shocked by this one, but it's not like they're losing customers to the competition. They can do whatever they want because you're completely at their mercy.

Anything positive about today? I found free parking in downtown LA. I think that's a good accomplishment (okay it was at the mall one block away, but still). And I'm now fully informed on all current events having listened to 4+ hours of NPR on my drive up and back. Don't listen for more than 2 hours straight, because I discovered that they start repeating the news stories. I've just about memorized what the Iraqi Prime Minster has to say about the Blackwater scandal and the hung jury in the trial of the Hollywood actor accused of killing his wife (the judge gave the jury more instructions).

I'll shut up. Time to play some Picross on my DS and enjoy the pixel art.

Photo: Is this sold in your grocery store?



It's cactus!

2 comments:

Ksam said...

Is he with the CPAM for la sécu? If so, he should go see them too, and ask for une attestation showing that you're his "ayant droit". That's what Fab and I did when the fac wanted me to pay for seperate health insurance.

Anonymous said...

I can check that this coming monday, thanks for the hint Sam ;)