B and I got the grand tour of McDonalds two days ago when we visited Allen at the location his family owns. He and his brother work there as managers, his mom does payroll, and his dad does a lot of the financial part. After seeing the walk-in freezer, the basement, and the safe, we got a Manager's special reduction on our meals (free! yay!). That's the first time I've gotten free food from a friend like that.
We went to the beach afterward and had a fun time in the waves. B took pictures of all the seaweed since there isn't any in the Mediterranean. We laughed and commented in French about the lifeguard that started chatting up two college age girls in bikinis near us. B said he probably got their phone numbers.
Yesterday we went to an all-you-can-eat soup and salad buffet with my grandma. It was good and B was really surprised that you could really take whatever you wanted and serve yourself as many times as you wanted. He was confused by the waitress that offered to refill his drink since the soda station wasn't far. ("I have two legs, I can refill my own cup." "But this is America") I ate way too much because there was so much to taste, and of course, there's that "let's take as much advantage of all-you-can-eat as possible" idea in the back of your head. My grandma told us about her elbow injury three months ago, and her neighbors, and the women at her church, and asked B about his work and our town. I asked her for the email address of a second cousin's wife, and then she asked if I knew who Chuck was (the second cousin). My grandma loves to "write" long "emails" like THIS as well. B calls her my "Grandmère citation".
My dad is glued to the tv for the US Open. He's a huge tennis fan and digital cable with Dvr is the best invention ever in his eyes. He can tape all the matches while he's at work and watch them when he gets home.
This of course annoys my mother to no end. She wants to talk finances with my dad and projects to redo the 70's original kitchen and all the random boxes in the garage, but my dad is capable of redirecting every conversation back to tennis. Or he just zones out because there's an amazing point.
I am very happy to point out to B that many of my habits or expectations are due to my mom. I started out wanting to change the sheets every week, which was really overzealous to B. I've slowly changed, because, hey, you don't die if you only change them every two or three weeks. My mom just walked by our room suggesting that we'd be much better and more comfortable if we changed our sheets. B excused himself for saying I was "faciste" all the time, and acknowledged that much of it comes from her.
Maybe I've come up with the ultimate response to everyone's questions (So, are you going to have a big wedding, or a small one?; when's the date?....). I should ask them how well their parents' marriage turned out. And when they pause, I'll say "That's why we're not in a rush."
No comments:
Post a Comment