Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ah, finally... wait, what?!

I've been spending a lot of time on my rapport de stage recently (it's due August 24th), but Word has been a pain and freezes up if I work/type/embed pdf files too "quickly". I knew there was an update I hadn't done, so I figured I do that since it might take care of the problem.

To rewind a bit, "normally" I get Microsoft Office (and other programs) from my dad who buys a family license and installs it on the computers at home. When I got my new laptop two years ago I just transferred over all my files, including all the software I had. Last year when my hard drive failed I had a TimeMachine back-up, so I only lost about two weeks of Word documents. But my hard drive failure at the beginning of this summer didn't end so happily. I didn't have a proper back-up and thus lost my software.

Now I could have asked my dad to send me a copy of the family license, certes. But that would have taken a while and my husband said "Don't worry, I'll find you a copy on the internet."

So I installed it and justified not paying by saying that we really had in the past, but it was just a hard drive problem that made me lose the official copy.

Forty-five minutes later I finished three different updates that were all "critical" and solved lots of problems. I heaved a sigh of relief and double clicked on Word to go back to work on my rapport:

"We have determined that your product code is invalid. Please enter a valid product code."

Damn you verification systems!!

So until I get this figured out, I might be discovering OpenOffice (though I'm convinced it's crap).

4 comments:

Ksam said...

Why do you think it's crap? I used Open Office for almost three years and really liked it. You're pretty much getting the same package as the Office suite without paying all that money to "the man".

Anonymous said...

I use open office too. It's fine most of the time but the french dictionary was a bit dodgy. I think they brought out updates for the dictionary though. Def give it a go. It really isn't that bad!! If you don't like it your dad can still send you the cd. AT least this way you'll be able to continue your work!

L said...

So far it's been okay, but I still think it's not as easy to use as Word. And the dictionary doesn't pick up gender mistakes, which is kind of a big problem for me....

Anonymous said...

Hm. My laptop's hard drive crashed a few months ago, killing off my entire MS Office Suite - so I'm thinking of trying out Open Office, and hope I can get it to work OK for me.