Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ophthalmologist

Three time daily mouth wash to prevent an infection from my sideways growing wisdom teeth: check

Second opinion concerning my weird eye problem: check??

I went to the ophthalmologist this morning to get a second opinion on my MEWDS condition that was diagnosed by the interns at the CHU. To me it seems like my eye has gotten better, but from what the doctor could see there wasn't much difference from the interns' notes.

I went to this particular doctor because my husband said he was the one he saw to get new glasses based on a recommendation from a colleague. Like many city doctors, his office was in a large building with a mixture of private apartments and doctors/lawyers offices. There was a nice central court with a small side court with little garages. I saw at least two different stair cases, but there's probably a third.

I arrived and did the little "sonnez et entrez" and then sat down in the waiting room (fish tank, but old chairs). About a minute later the doctor opened the door to his office and let me in.

The doctor was older (in his 60's) and I don't think he's changed any of his furniture or medical equipment since he started his practice. In front of his desk were two chairs like this



except the seat cushions was completely worn out and sagging (and practically falling off the chair). It was a dark olive color with rivets along the arm rest and the top of the back rest. Behind him there was a large marble fireplace with a mirror above it and a 19th century clock on the mantel kind of like this

His "equipment" consisted in an old desk chair I sat on while he examined my eyes, and a rotating table with various things. This kind of equipment he definitely didn't have

To make up for his lack of equipment, he just leaned in close with an eye scope.

The doctor's conclusion was more or less "Oh this is serious", but since I didn't have the angiogram results (pictures of my retina), he couldn't tell me much more. This afternoon I'm going back to the CHU, so I'll have two sets of pictures to compare. The doctor wants to see me again to look at the results, so I suggested making that appointment now since you can never schedule an appoint sooner than 2-3 weeks away.

"Well I'm going on vacation, so call me back early September to make an appointment."
So it's serious, but then again he's going on vacation, so I'll have to call him back....

Once I got home I described the doctor's office to my husband. "Oh no, that's nothing like the place I went to. It was really modern where I went." So why did I see this doctor again?? We'll see what he has to say in September when I see him again with my retina pictures.

1 comment:

BlondeInFrance said...

Are you using the Hextril stuff? It's mighty powerful, I used a variation of it in Dublin when I had the same wisdom teeth issue and apparently it can stain your teeth. Super.

I keep putting off seeing an eye doctor, I NEED to, it's been two years since I got a real checkup, but I figure they're all on vacation anyway so I'll do it in September, and probably get an appointment for March, sigh.