Thursday, August 20, 2009

One of B's friends is in for the learning experience of his life.

Bob* studied math for several years, finishing a research Masters and even starting research for a doctorate. But about a year after starting the doctorate, he decided it wasn't for him. His research had been a paid job at a laboratory at the university, so he qualified for unemployment. This being France and all, he had 10 months of benefits, and started really looking for a job between month 7 and 8, and found a job as a quality assurance consultant for a company. That job was only a temporary position though (3 or 4 months), and his contract was not renewed, so he was unemployed again. Bob really took advantage of his unemployment to join lots of clubs, take dance classes, and generally keep busy.

This couldn't last forever though, so he started looking again for a job. We asked Bob what kind of jobs he was qualified for with all his super math skills (he wasn't sure), and if he could have any job in the world what would it be (maybe a chef in a restaurant).

Fast forward a few months, and Bob is talking about going to China or Guatemala.

Okay, we said. Right.

And then in July he said he was pretty sure he was going to go teach math (full time) in a French high school in Guatemala this fall. Nevermind he doesn't speak a word of Spanish and has never taught high school math (or high school students for that matter).

"Wow, so you already have your passport and visa and everything? Is there a Guatemala consulate in Toulouse?" I asked him.

"Oh no, I don't have my passport yet. The woman at city hall said it didn't take to long. And I don't think I need a visa, I'll just get it once I arrive." he said.

I must have stared in disbelief. Maybe I've had too many complicated residency card stories to be that nonchalant anymore.

Bob has his passport now and he's leaving tomorrow. It'll be his first time leaving France I think. Last week we asked him about his apartment and the final walk through.

"My parents are coming next week and they'll do the walk though. I don't have a suitcase yet, so I'll have to get that this week."

Again, I think I stared in disbelief. He was leaving in a week, and he didn't have a suitcase yet? Did he notice that stores were closed because it's August?

Bob told us a while ago that his contact at the French high school would arrange for a place for him to stay when he arrives. I asked him if his contact was picking him up at the airport with a sign.

"Um, I don't really know."

Yesterday I think it was (so Wednesday) he posted on Facebook that he needed help packing up his stuff and today at 5pm he sent an SOS message asking if we could bring our car and help him move his skis to a friend's garage tonight, preferably at 7:30.

We're having a going-away party tonight, although we're not sure where and if we have to bring food because the plans have changed 3 times.



I don't want to sound critical of Bob's adventuresome decision to move to Guatemala. I mean, if you don't move to a foreign country when you're young, are you really going to do it when you're 40?

But I guess as someone who's moved several times (domestic and international), dealt with visas and residency cards, and struggled with a foreign language, I have a hard time accepting that someone can be so cavalier about such a big event.

Maybe it will all work out for him. Maybe he'll really struggle at first. I hope it's a positive experience for him, that he learns a lot, meets new people, and figures out if teaching is for him (and if not, what he wants to do). And like I said, he's in for the learning experience of his life.


*Names changed, though I'm pretty sure my post gives away who it is and anyone who knows him would be able to figure it out....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being naive is a wonderful thing, take it from someone who knows. He'll be fine I'm sure! ;o)

BlondeInFrance said...

Yea, maybe if there is less initial stress, things will go better for him. Or not, lol. Guatemala is maybe less strict about stuff like this? I feel like most people I know from there are trying to leave so they won't be too picky about people wanting to come!

Though the disorganized moving is a bit annoying. And cavalier attitudes about anything in general just make me burn with envy/anger.

Emily said...

I think it's wonderful. If I could pack up and move to Spain I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately J doesn't feel the same way - he still wants his American adventure :(

L said...

I met Bob's mom at the going-away party last night, and she was less than thrilled with the lack of preparation because it meant emptying his apartment in a day and a half (and of course she's the one who has to store the stuff). We asked Bob how he was getting to the airport and he said "I think my friend Seb can take me, but he hasn't confirmed yet." This, the night before he has to be at the airport.