Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Confirmation: open office is crappy. Sure you can you do your basic typing, but embedding images and rotating and cropping them is just one big headache. One of the other thing that really bugs me is that I often work with the ¶ symbol on so I can see the formatting and make sure there aren't
double spaces or to see where my page breaks are. Well it doesn't work very well in Open office and page breaks are not visible. I won't mention how not being able to embed pdfs makes my life difficult.

B is hugely against buying a license (though maybe once I have a job I might), so I'm left with doing the "Free 30 day trial!" of MS Office just so I can finish my paper. This past week I've spent about a third of my time just learning work-arounds in Open office, which is not exactly what I should be spending my time on when my paper's due next week.

Other than that, it's hot hot hot here in Toulouse. A friend of B's is coming for two days, so after tutoring this morning I had the glorious task of cleaning the toilet and mopping the kitchen.

Also random news, my dance school apparently burned down when the flamenco school next to it caught on fire, so I'll probably go to a new place this fall.

Now, if you'll excuse me while I go melt.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

you can find serial codes on bittorrent...

Jul said...

Try Iwork 09, it's an exellent substitute to M$ office, less exepensive than office! And really easy to use in order to make your page layout, basic typing etc...
Works perfecly with ".doc" documents too (opening and creating) !

I'm using that at school, and as far as i can remember, i never had to install m$ office on my mac ;-)

Good luck for your exam !
(And sorry about my english :-p)