Friday, March 27, 2009

Various observations:

My exams are all done. Now what? (vacation, it's already planned)

About 60 high school/BTS students demonstrated down a big street by our appartment yesterday. Except there was no one there so see them, except the traffic they blocked behind them. Did they really think it would be effective to protest the reductions in public service with no journalists to report about it?

A woman in my Masters was caught cheating during one of the exams. She had notes on her lap. Her excuse was that with her young son she didn't have any time to study. We're all wondering what will happen and whether or not she'll get the diploma.

B and I did a preliminary tax calculation and we might fall into the next tax bracket this year (30% ouch!). We have, of course, not set aside any money what so ever to pay this in September, so it looks like we'll be pinching a few pennies until then.

I went back to the municipal library to renew my membership and "rediscovered" the library. I haven't been much since I started my Masters and I'd forgotten about all the great stuff they have: tons of academic reviews, DVDS, CDS, tv's with foreign tv stations and headphones, newspapers and magazines, lectures... It's open Sundays so I should take advantage of it more often.

B befriended the chef from the cafeteria at work, and he came over last night and coached B in making chicken with mustard sauce accompanied by roasted tomatoes and salad. It was really really yummy and B learned a lot of tricks in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Ksam said...

You guys probably know this already, but you can set it up so that you pay your income tax by mensualités in little chunks each month, instead of in one big lump sum.

And what's the plan for next week??