While studying for my upcoming exams, I've come across many references to French philosophers, sociologistes, and writers. Basic communications theory (how the media works and broadcasts, how people are influenced or can influence the media, etc etc) is part of my Masters and the foundation for a lot of other courses.
Every time I come across a reference to Baudrillard, Foucault, or Deleuze, I feel lost because I never read them and can only go on the one sentence quotation or philosophical summary in my professor's powerpoint.
I'd like to think that one day it's possible to be familiar with the writers and philosophers who've influenced French academia, but the idea is incredibly daunting.
How do you catch up on the evolution of theories on society, culture, media, and the economy that you missed because you were learning all the theories from your own country?
Stourdzé, Balandier, Sfez, Simondon, Eco, Baudrillard, Lévi-Strauss, Bourdieu, Foucault, Derrida, Barthes...
I'm convinced knowing and understanding their ideas would be good, but where do you begin? I joked to B about reading "Culture G pour les Nuls" (Common culture/basic knowledge for Dummies), but it might not be that bad of a start after all...
2 comments:
yea, i've often thought the same thing but I don't even recognise most of those French philosophers! I definately think that book pour les nuls should exist, maybe even beginners guide to....
I've thought about buying that book because I feel like there's such a gap in my knowledge of French culture and history. Even though I live here, I don't feel completely immersed in the culture and I want to know more about what and how the French think...
Post a Comment