Sunday, March 22, 2009

While I'm slightly wigging out about my test tomorrow morning (we don't know which of three subjects will be given, so we have to study all three) I think I'll be okay since I decided at the last minute not to go to a birthday party so I could study.

Last night I took a break from studying and went to a play, Venise sous la Neige. It was a funny comedy performed by an amateur troupe in this tiny theater (50 seats max) and I had a nice time. I'd never really been in the neighborhood of Toulouse where the theater was, so it was neat to discover something new.

I believe last night was the first play that I've ever been to in France (not counting the plays performed by kids in the Theater Festival I volunteered for last year). When I was a student in Montpellier I took advantage of the Pass Culture and got 5€ tickets to orchestra performances, dance concerts, the opera, and the movie theater, but never theater. Back then I was still really learning French and I figured I wouldn't understand a play, so I never went. I was intimated, or worried about not getting my money's worth if I didn't understand anything (although now that I look back 5€ isn't much...), and just stayed away.

And even though my French has improved a lot since then, fear of the theater has stayed with me. When I went to London two years ago I made a big effort to go to a play since I "couldn't" in France. Here in Toulouse I've had my jobless/under-employed status as an excuse, but it's really not an excuse since most theaters offer student discounts so the ticket is the same or cheaper than a movie.

Maybe I've turned over a new leaf. I'll be interning at a theater in just a few weeks in any case, so it seems like theater will be entering my life in a new way.

Back to stressing about my exams...

1 comment:

BlondeInFrance said...

When we did L'Arlesienne in orchestra with the play and everything, I definitely didn't understand everything at first, but by the fourth time I got most of it, lol. I think theater is way harder than movies, since the sound level varies, and there is less visual stuff to help figure out what's going on! You're lucky to be there interning so you can see things multiple times and ask questions and stuff.

Good luck on the exam!