I passed the Code de la Route this morning!!
The test was scheduled for 8am in a suburb of Toulouse, so that meant meeting at the Auto-Ecole at 7:15, although we didn't leave until 7:40 or so. The test didn't start till about 8:20, but I was done by 9am and just had to wait for the car from the Auto-Ecole to come back and pick us up.
Everyone agreed it was much easier than some of the practice tests we'd done. There weren't really any trick questions or tough ones like how many kilometers you should change your brake fluid. I did study a whole bunch though, and it paid off.
Now it's on to practicing driving with an instructor, and hopefully I'll have my full French permit before too long.
I sent away for my Driving history from the California DMV because I'm hoping that I can use it and a clause I found on the Sécurité Routière website to prove that I've had my foreign license for more than 3 years and thus shouldn't have a permis probatoire. I'm not pinning my hopes on it since California doesn't have the license exchange, but it's worth a shot, especially if I present the proof when I go for the driving exam.
3 comments:
Yay! Congrats! That's interesting about the driving history, I'll have to look into that . . .
I tried to use that clause too, but mine got rejected - the préf told me that law changed in 04 or 05 and that now you have to have the permis probatoire no matter what. And when I did my driving exam, my auto-école dude talked to the examiner about it, and he agreed that it was silly, but said that if you had to retake BOTH the code & the examen de conduite, then he was obligated to check the "probationary period" box.
I still think it's def worth trying for though - in this country, you never know, you could tombe sur qqn in a good mood! (PS. I included a letter from my American insurance company in my dossier too).
Congratulations!! I always feel bad knowing that you guys have to study so hard and take these tests when I was able to do the exchange. It's so unfair for the unlucky states!
Post a Comment