Sunday, September 7, 2008

Too many decisions

I filled out my registration form to get my student card at the university, but the second to last question is blank.

I have to decide which student caisse I'm going with for my health insurance. You'd think it'd be simple, but the problem is that I already have a complement de santé through B, and I can keep that when I choose my student caisse, or I can go with the complement de santé they offer.

They all offer slightly different things for slightly different prices though.

I always make sure to read through the small print as well because I want to know up front what all the nitty gritty details are. The offer might seem like a great deal, until you realize they have a limit on the number of times they reimburse visits to certain doctors or some other random thing.

On top of that, we have to make a decision about our regular car/apartment insurance. We had a deal with MAIF before since I was working for Education Nationale and we were allowed to keep the same policy while I was unemployed, but now that I'm going back to school (and not to become a teacher), we have to change policies. It looks like the none-teacher policy with MAIF is considerably more expensive, but then again I don't know what any other company can offer us. So guess what I get to do this week... insurance quotes.

Not that I find these sorts of things interesting, but I feel like they're really important, so I'm willing to spend time analyzing our options. B, on the other hand, isn't interested and feels like insurance is more or less "une arnaque" (a rip off), so there's no point spending time comparing offers because we'll be losing money no matter what we do.

I still need to decide which magazines I'm going to subscribe to. And train tickets need to be bought to register in B's parents' village for our wedding.

On top of that, my mom is sending me pictures of various beaches and restaurants in San Diego where we could have our wedding. I'm supposed to somehow decide from a distance. My whole "short, sweet, and simple" idea still isn't grasped by my parents, so I now am supposed to decide between several expensive restaurants for the reception. I mentioned what lunch at one of them would cost to B, and he made the astute remark that for that price my parents could buy plane tickets to come to France. When you put it that way, it seems even crazier to have an expensive reception.

1 comment:

Reb said...

A word of advice - do not let the distance make you lazy with your US wedding planning. Our US wedding turned into my parents' party because I got bullied(well, we've been saving for year and we will spend it on your wedding) and guilted (this is the only wedding we'll ever be able to pay for) and then just let go. The result was a nice wedding, but not memorable and not the one I wanted or remember when I think back.