Friday, September 19, 2008

Boo, nobody left any comments about whether or not they know married French couples who've chosen to not have kids.

In other news, I feel really disenchanted by the whole wedding thing. I feel like B's mom doesn't want to let him go or accept my role in his life. I feel like what I think and want isn't considered at all by his family. His parents have used the excuse "But that's how weddings are done, you just don't know it" to plan things we didn't want, and I'm worried that my parents will do the same. They already have to some extent, saying that a reception in a park isn't really a reception.

As I said to B, I feel like compromising means agreeing to do what the other person wanted to do all along.

I found out that my classes for my Master will start October 1st, instead of Sept 29th, and they still haven't finished the schedule. I've accepted a few more tutoring students, but I'm worried I'm setting myself up for failure since I don't know how many hours of class I'll have or how much homework. But I won't have any unemployment benefits this year, which so nicely paid for groceries since last spring, so I keep thinking "Oh, one more hour of tutoring, it's not too much, and I need the money."

Maybe the Journées du Patrimoine this weekend will cheer me up. Nothing liking visiting a few historical buildings. Here's the list of what will be opened up just for the weekend. I'm hoping to see some of the Hôtel de ..... since they're closed the rest of the year. Visiting the studios of France 3 Sud could be cool as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to think of any married couples like that in France. At least with David's friends, it's more common to NOT be married but have kids. I think we're the only couple not married and with no kids. And we're going to stay that way probably. I don't know, we might get married one day if I can't get citizenship through a Master's or whatever. But definitely no kids.

I can't think of any French couples I know who choose not to have kids. France has such a huge focus on family, and generous social benefits to go along with having a large family, that everyone seems to want kids. Except me. :)

You should definitely say FU to your parents (ok maybe not exactly that) and do whatever you want for your wedding. It makes me sad and a little angry for you that the parents are trying to change everything and force you to do things that you don't want to do. Don't put up with it! Your wedding is for you, not your parents. They already had theirs!