"Fall sets fire
To the tips of trees
And fans the flames
With an icy breeze."
by John Frank
This afternoon felt like the first day of fall: crisp, cool, a touch of rain in the air, a breeze to blow the drying leaves...
I remember my first year at college and the convocation ceremony that officially started the school year. The leaves from the trees that surrounded the open-air amphitheater began to fall while the president of the college was speaking and it felt like magic. I grew up in Southern California, so the vibrant Massachusetts fall was enchanting. Thinking back to how beautiful the campus was during each fall semester makes my heart ache. I went to Acadia National Park in Maine during October break my senior year of college, and I'll never forget the vivid colors.
Fall reminds me of Halloween as well. And while I have fond memories from my childhood, I feel like my best memories are almost those from college, when I drove down to Connecticut to a friend's house and helped her family prepare their extravagent front yard haunted house. We nailed pressed wood scenery together, prepared ghosts and scarecrows, and fixed lights to the decor. Then we ate together, a gaggle of college girls and a herd of boys (the friends of the younger brothers of my college friend), and put on our costumes. My first year they had the Harry Potter Triwizard Cup, the next year the backlot of a movie studio, and my senior year a memorial of sorts to all the previous Halloweens since the boys were seniors in high school and they wouldn't be there the next year. At the end of the evening, we slept on the living room floor, then got up early to drive back to Western Mass (someone usually had class the next morning). I remember my first year it was so cold I was frozen stiff at my fog-machine post, even though I was wearing my winter parka!
Besides the Halloween fun, I think what made participating so much fun was spending time with my friend's parents. They were so upbeat and cheery it was incredible. I took a picture of the family portrait in the dining room because even in the picture her dad was beaming. I think my friend got tired of her dad's never ending enthusiasm, but for an evening, it felt like walking into the perfect family from a tv show. It was increadibly uplifting to be with this family that was profoundly happy and having fun together. I know no family is perfect, but it seemed like they'd worked it out better than most.
Fall at my college:


The colors are strangely duller than in the originals. The trees are much redder and orangey than these pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment