Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quick list of what I'll miss

Moving to Toulouse will be a good thing, but there are a few things I'll miss from our small town.

1. The two mini goats in the yard of the house right by the train station. They look up at you and go "Beehhhhh" and it's too cute. Then they push each other off the two stones as they each try to be goat of the hill.

2. All the crazy cats in our complex that are just dying to see the inside of our apartment and stick their noses against the glass doors to see what's going on. They'll do anything for a little scratch behind the ear.

3. Great bread at the boulangerie down the hill from our apartment. We've heard it's hard to find good bread in Toulouse and I can imagine that since there are a lot more chains and 'depot de pain' where they re-heat frozen bread.

4. The little import store run by the British lady where she sells Betty Crocker cake mixes, cream of tartar (dry acid for baking), and even cream cheese every once in a while.

5. The market on Friday mornings. Even if I haven't gone in ages, the idea of great fresh and local meats and cheeses and 20 kinds of olives is just wonderful. I should have gone more often and bought Tome de Pyrénées made locally and great saucisses for B.

And the big things I'll miss:

6. The castle. Every day we see it and I admit that I started to take it for granted that I live in a town towered over by a medieval castle.

7. Our apartment. As much as we don't like the company that runs our complex and how they raised our rent, apartment hunting in Toulouse as made me realize how hard it is to find something comparable. We have two bedrooms (on the small size, but 2 none the less), two sinks in the bathroom, a cellier where we have the washing machine, vacuum, plus shelves for lots of storage, a kitchen with 4 burners that work, a fridge, and room for a microwave and oven, a nice living room with balcony, plus an entry way with a large closet for all our shoes, coats, and other random storage.

1 comment:

The Late Bloomer said...

Wow, your apartment in that small town DOES sound nice! And with so many conveniences and amenities that you just don't get in most big cities in France, ESPECIALLY in Paris and la région parisienne ! I'm starting to look a bit for a new apartment as well, mainly because we have humidity/mold problems in our place, and we know it's just getting worse and is NOT good for our health -- plus the owners just don't seem to care about lifting a finger to do anything about it. And I know it's not going to be easy... Our place does have some nice things about it, even if our salle d'eau/bathroom is MINISCULE. I would kill for two sinks! And a bathtub for a change... Although I always find that you want a bathtub when you don't have one, and then when you DO have one, you never take baths anyway! But our kitchen is "équipée" with an oven and a refrigerator/freezer, which I know is not very common. We only have two burners though -- again, the day I have four burners will feel like such a luxury!

Oh, and by the way, Happy Belated New Year! I'm just catching up on all my blog-reading and I know I'm really behind, but I hope you had a great holiday. Sounds like with all that traveling and good food that you had an excellent time.