I'm currently in the bathroom next to the tub because that is the only place in our new apartment where we can connect to someone's unprotected wifi network. There's been a slight delay with getting our internet and phone, so B and I might be latching on to our neighbor's internet for a few more days.
I'll probably take a few posts to talk all about the move. In the big picture, everything went well. There were just a few things that didn't go like I wanted them to or a person or two that bothered me.
My connection is kind of iffy, (and I need to do laundry and unpack boxes) so I'll leave with you with a few random things I learned about recently.
1) When you borrow money in France, you can get insurance so that if somethings happens and you can't continue to pay back the money the insurance will for you. This seems strange to me already, but whatever. But what seems plain wrong is that there's a law in France that if you have had cancer (or another life-threatening illness), you can't take out a loan anymore. The logic is that you have a much higher chance of dieing and thus not repaying the loan, but I know lots of people that had cancer 10-15 years ago and have been in remission since. I don't know all the details, but this just seems like a terrible law to me.
2) "Dangerous" dogs like pitbulls, mastiffs, boxers, etc, must be registered and can't be owned by someone under 18. If the police find out someone has a dog in this category that's not registered, they take the dog away, the owner gets a fine, and usually the dog is killed. Does this not seem unjust and unfitting? I don't get why the owner can't pay the fine, register the dog, and then get the dog back. Or they can't find another owner who registers the dog. Again, I don't really understand all the details. I learned about this one during 30 millions d'amis yesterday. Apparently there are a lot of dog lovers that are trying to fight this law and sometimes the dog can be "pardoned" and given to a new family.
Lastly, we have a new fridge with a large freezer thanks to the generosity of B's parents, and when we went shopping I was able to fill up on ice cream and frozen pizzas and lots of great stuff, including shrimp tails!!! I hate having to take the head off shrimp, then peel all the shell off. Plus, my mom read somewhere that when shrimp heads are kept on, there is an enzyme that makes the meat softer. I like crispy snappy shrimp, not the mushy stuff I usually find in restaurants. I'm glad to find shrimp all prepared and frozen. Next I just have to find cocktail sauce (or make some myself) and I can munch away!
No comments:
Post a Comment