I forgot to announce that the last post was number 100! Not much longer, and I'll have been blogging for a year!
I got my letter from the immigration office today with my appointment for my medical exam/chest x-ray. I still have the huge x-ray from last year. I heard England is starting to have a tuberculoses problem within immigrant communities, so I guess it's a good thing France screens for it.
Along with the paper for the appointment is a pamphlet about taking a little seminar and signing a welcome and integration contract. I've never had to sign a contract before, but I suppose that was because I was in France as a student and then teaching assistant. Or because Sarkozy wasn't president the last two times I applied for a residency card. I might have to sit through a welcome meeting for immigrants and then have my French evaluated and be briefed on how to find a job.
I also have to pay 275€ for my residency card. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about that because it says it's for the first residency card, and this will be my third, although I haven't had them back to back. I wonder if being registered as unemployed means anything. How is someone supposed to pay 275€ for their carte de séjour anyway? That's more than half a month's rent for us.
Added plus, the letter is addressed to Mme C.... epouse B... They put B's first name as my married name. Makes your wonder if it's really not monkeys back there. At least my last name isn't misspelled. The French really have a hard time with it, including the préfecture in Montpellier and the company we pay rent to here.
2 comments:
275€ is what is costs to get your first carte de séjour vie privée et familiale...it's really a small price to pay for the right to work (at least that's what i told myself as i wrote the check). every year after, it costs 70€. the assistant fee is paid for by the rectorat, and the student fee is much less (i want to say i paid 55€ or something like that).
and the day-long "integration" program started in 2007 - it's now apparently mandatory for everyone the first time they get a "real" cds, ie not an assistant or student one.
Um, what? That's really surprising to me... I don't remember paying a fee like that back in 2002, but then again, like you said, maybe this has something to do with Sarkozy and his new system? And maybe I just have a really bad memory, too. I have to admit I just don't recall that kind of sum. But my personal situation was very different then, so that may be the reason too -- I was married at the time, and I'm now divorced. Who knows?
You sound like you're on top of everything, so once you pay that fee, I'm sure all is going to fall into place. It kills me that they got your name completely wrong though -- and somehow it's NOT surprising!
Post a Comment