Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's resolution

I've been thinking about this for a few days now.

I haven't made a real new year's resolution since I was a kid, when we had a language arts writing assignment to write about it. I usually decided to write in my journal every day so that I would have an incredible history of my childhood and what I thought and felt when I was 9, 10, 11. Invariably I missed a day or two towards the end of January, and then the day I missed became 4 months and it was April before I wrote again.

I feel kind of dumb mentioning this, but over the summer I saw a documentary on Arnold Schwarzenegar and an ex-girlfriend they interviewed talked about how every January 1st he would write down 5 things he wanted to accomplish in the year. The girlfriend told him he was crazy to think he could accomplish those things in a year, but every year he would do it.

So, I'm trying to find a good resolution. Something applicable, reachable, and motivational. Something I haven't devoted much time to recently but is deserving none the less. Dealing with the princess behavior of our New Year's eve host's girlfriend, I started thinking about making a resolution to be more accommodating for this year. I can be pretty unpleasant and demanding when tired and hungry and lacking personal space.

It's no use saying I'll keep my desk organized or something like that. That's a constant struggle, and not really resolution worthy. I don't want some resolution that will make me feel guilty if I don't follow through either.

I'll have to ruminate on this.

No comments: