Friday, January 4, 2008

First time for everything

Wednesday I drove to B's work for the first time and then went shopping at Carrefour by myself and drove home. It was the first time I drove that far by myself in France!

Yesterday I took the train to Toulouse to look at the first apartment in our apartment search. I don't think I'll pursue it because it was a little small for two people (45 m2), but I went knowing that I'll need to look at "warm-up" apartments. When I do find a good one, I'll know what questions to ask and be able to compare it to what I've already seen.

After I saw the apartment, I strolled around downtown Toulouse and then promptly missed my train by about 45 seconds (first time doing that, and last I hope!). The next train stopped two towns before ours, but if I didn't take it, I wouldn't be home till 10:30pm, so I called B and he was kind enough to drive 15-20 minutes to pick me up.

And today I went to the dentist for the first time in France. I'm still not used to a doctor's office run by the doctor him/her self. In the states there's always a secretary, and then nurses or dental hygienists, and you see the doctor for 5 minutes at the end of the appointment after you've talked with the nurse or assistant. My dentist answered the phone a few times during my appointment to schedule other appointments, cleaned my teeth himself, and did the billing. No cavities like I was worried about, but I'm supposed to use my American Arm and Hammer toothpaste less often (too abrasive) and brush differently (no mention of flossing).

To finish off this week of firsts, tonight is the Repas des Fêtes at B's work (they're a little behind) and it's the first time we'll participate. Last year B made up some reason why we couldn't go, but this year he feels obligated since he announced he's leaving.

And as B says, this the first entire year we'll be pacsed, since we only signed it end of August 2007. Hard to believe we just shared our fourth holiday season together though! How time flies.

No comments: