I've decided that my first new year's resolution is to start learning German. I bought a book and cd last year and I intended to start learning on my own, but I never sat down and did any exercises. I'd like to at least be able to put a sentence together and understand the subject of something written or spoken. I do French vocabulary exercises on the train, so the least I can do this year is study my "German for Dummies" book.
I'm still working on my second resolution.
As for updates, I have now visited two apartments, have appointments to visit 4 more (the 5th was canceled because the apartment was rented yesterday), and am starting to feel more comfortable speaking on the phone. Calling all these rental agencies is good practice for any secretarial job where I'll have to answer the phone often.
B is currently at odds with his family because they took his delay in sending new year's wishes as an insult and feel that he is not keeping everyone updated. His aunt has even taken it upon herself to forward him ads for apartments to rent in Toulouse, as if we haven't seen any good ones ourselves. The problem is that she's not looking very closely at the size (does she really think 37 m2 is big enough for 2 people?) or the neighborhood (the opposite side of the agglomeration from B's work is a bit too far). B barely answers his cell phone now and we've been letting the phone at home ring. It's almost comical, but not quite, since B gets emails "de mécontement" (of displeasure). We're supposed to go back to Montpellier this weekend to participate in a concert with B's brother, but we're having second thoughts. It's hard when your parents still think of you as a child who's insecure about doing things without their help.
And B and I are currently suffering from an addiction to Six Feet Under. We have the entire series, which doesn't help when each episode ends with a little uncertainty. We had each seen the first 5 episodes on our own, but we watched the last 8 of the first season this past weekend. "Just one more," we kept saying, "then we'll go to bed." I think I dreamt about it last night. The worst is that we can't get enough of it! We started season 2 last night and watched 3 episodes in a row. We'll probably watch a minimum of 2 tonight. Parts of episodes will come to mind throughout the day, which is becoming annoying. I highly recommend the series; it really is excellent, but beware the dangers of having an entire season available.
No comments:
Post a Comment