My job is alright. I'm basically a receptionist at a construction company. I transfer calls, pick up faxes, send faxes, open the mail, stamp the mail, put the mail in the job boxes, and repeat. Today I also printed and cut out lists of everyone's cell phones and then laminated them with a business card protector thing. Then I had to cut them down a bit, which meant carefully cutting for 30 minutes.
I'll post a picture soon of the gift basket that arrived yesterday. One of the construction companies that works with my office sent this wash basin full of Godiva chocolate, smoked salmon, crackers, crappy processed cheese, Ghiradelli chocolate, more chocolate, hot chocolate mix, and some candy. Did I mention all the boxes of Godiva? It must have cost them a fortune, but if my company has given them a lot of business, it's their way to say thanks. I say thanks too, because the guys were clueless about the salmon and let me take it home. They said that Christmas time is insane because they get gift baskets left and right. Too bad I won't be there anymore...
If I'm able to transition to a French company, I wonder what the differences will be. I have to remind myself here to not just knock once and open a closed door like you do in France. Someone has to be available to answer the phone at all times here, even during lunch time. It might be nice to have the office close for a bit during lunch time.
I'm driving that old Jeep I posted a picture of with the "Student Driver" sign. I can say I drive stick now, but I'm not that great. I still stall it occasionally, and 2nd gear can be herky jerky. I get down when I remember I have to drive somewhere and I dread having to navigate a parking lot. It's not even that hard and I always manage, but I still think I can't do it. Plus the ventilation sucks (you can't change the direction of the air), the radio reception is mediocre, and the button to turn on the lights is half broken. Having driven newer cars so much, I feel less safe without the airbag, anti-lock breaks, and power steering. Well, it's a car, I can get myself to work and back, and I don't have much longer. It's just a blow to my self-esteem every time I have to drive it (let's see, will I leave some rubber today when attempting to down-shift?).
On the bright side.....I worked out tonight, and tomorrow is Friday, and next week is Thanksgiving. Not much longer till I'll be back in France!
Picture of Gift Basket:
No comments:
Post a Comment