Friday, November 30, 2007

Bilan

So it was 9am, not 10, when my boss came and asked me what my last day would be. "Friday," I apologized. Here expression was something of "I knew it!" and "Goddam it!" I suddenly felt like a fool for not telling her on Monday. "I'm going to be moving with my fiancé and it was a tough decision to make. We talked about it a lot and it was tough... but he's moving and so I'll be moving next Wednesday...." I tried to defend myself. I know I'm justified, that if I'd announced on Monday that I wanted to quit on Friday and they interviewed someone on Wednesday or Thursday, they could have that person start and tell me my assignment was over sooner than expected.

But I still felt bad.

The guys are just starting to really be friendly too. I imagine they don't try too hard in the beginning since there have been so many receptionists. They wait a week to see if she stays before becoming more friendly. Just a shame I didn't get that job earlier and I couldn't stay longer.

Three candidates are coming for interviews tomorrow, so I'll actually get to meet my replacement. Part of their whole problem with getting a receptionist who will stay is 1)they hire through a temp agency, but 2) you can't give two weeks notice, so when someone quits, the only way to do so is with limited notice, which means they're scrambling to find someone, and they hire the first warm body that comes through the door (but that was a good thing for me). Then they are disappointed when it doesn't work out.

The three resumés I saw looked good. They all had more experience than me, more sales/recruiting/marketing department experience. I guess that will be good because beyond the mundane tasks of opening mail and answering phones, they do need someone who can do small business tasks.

I'll report on how the interviews go. Throughout my time there, I've been making neat notes of all the little jobs, which I hope will help the next receptionist get up to speed quicker. Judging just by their resumés though, they might not need my help.

No comments: