Friday, November 2, 2007

Visa Visa Visa!

The French Consulate called to say my visa has arrived. Yay!! I was half convinced they were going to turn me down because I didn't have enough money in my bank accounts.

I don't know when I'll be going back to France, but at least now I can start calling the airline to find out if I can use my old September return trip.

The message was funny as well: "Ello, this ees the French Consulate calling for L.... Your visa has arrived.......um, Thank you...." click. If it's the guy I think it is, he doesn't speak English as well as you'd expect of someone posted to Los Angeles. I know it's really hard to get State Department assignments in "fun" countries like Western Europe and you have to speak the language and have several years experience in a high risk country. The Consulate employee did leave a second message that was a little longer, saying I need to call them to tell them when I'm coming. I'm glad they took the time to call. I just expected a letter, knowing how under staffed and funded they are.

And in other news, I got home in record speed today, about 40 minutes, so I went to the community club and used the weight room to work out for an hour. It was really great! I always sign up for dance classes because it makes me get out and exercise regularly (and I love to dance). Without that weekly appointment, I just don't do it, which is why I haven't worked my muscles on purpose since.... um.. July (oops). I like to exercise too, I just never get to it.

Would I be a hypocrite if I start thinking about all the things here in California I'll miss? I've been wanting to go back to France for so long, I shouldn't be nostalgic. We'll see how this all develops and when I can actually go back.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

felicitations!!

Unknown said...

Yaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

Now I'm totally jealous. But my new plan is to get a job working in a firm in Europe this summer... so perhaps I'll see you there.

:)

The Late Bloomer said...

Belated congratulations on receiving your visa -- what great news for you! And I see that you'll soon be arriving in France... I'll be going back to the U.S. to visit my family for New Year's.