Sunday, April 26, 2009

Inrock

The theater subscribes to Les Inrockuptibles, a general culture magazine. I don't want to say pop culture since they review plays and dance and analyse the press and media, but the majority of the magazine is definitly about new music and movies. If you've never read it, definitly check it out. It comes out every Tuesday I think.

In last week's magazine (number 699), there was a free cd Un Printemps 2009 with a sampling of new music. I think I knew two of the artists on the list, so I decided to give the cd a shot. I hardly ever listen to the radio, and when I do listen on my cell phone (yay new features), the only station I pick up is Radio Classique. Needless to say, I'm really out of the loop on new music.

Here's the play list:

Grizzly Bear Two Weeks
Metric Help I'm Alive
Iggy Pop I want to go to the beach
Phoenix Lisztomania
Art Brut Am I normal?
Esser Headlock (radio edit)
Thunderheist Sweet 16
Depeche Mode Wrong (Caspa remix)
Tiga Beep, beep, beep
Fever Ray Now's the only time I know
Piers Faccini Your name no more
Jason Lytle Yours truly, the commuter
Patrick Watson Big bird in a small cage
Bat for lashes Sleep alone
Montgomery 6 Bonnes raison
Coeur de Pirate Pour un infidèle en duo avec Julien Doré
L'Épicier La tête sous l'eau -School remix

The album is an eclectic mix of indie rock, pop, light hip-hop, techno-ish, and other unclassifiable music. It was exactly what I needed: a bunch of great songs from artists I'd never heard of. I noticed that there are only three songs in French, although other groups may be French singing in English. I don't know if that's a sign of Les Inrockuptibles prefering anglo groups, or that in the category of "good new music" there just aren't many French artists. Is anglo music "cooler", or is the French music industry not producing much worth talking about. I wonder how the cd would be perceived if the percentages where the other way around, only 3 songs in English.

Anyway, regardless of the implications of a French magazine promoting anglo groups, the cd is really good. Check around if there are still copies of number 699, or check out the artists/songs on the play list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Phoenix! They are French, even though they sing in English. Looooove them! That CD sounds really cool.

And also, we should arrange a phone date for this weekend. I'm going to be studying, and a break would be more than welcome! Sorry I missed your calls last weekend.