Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bibliothèque mondial numérique

I have a feeling I will soon be overdosed on French newspapers, but for now it's still pretty novel. Every morning for my internship I have to look through all the major newspapers and monthly magazines (so once a month for those) to see if there are any articles on performing arts.

While scanning the pages this morning, I saw this: UNESCO is launching a digital world library on April 21st.

Here are a couple links talking about it:
UN
lesoir.be
ledevoir.com

Sounds like it will be really cool. One of the articles explains that it was the American James H. Billington (head of the Library of Congress) who spearheaded the project.

Now if only I could get a job with the world digital library!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Ooh neat! Is that supposed to be like the Europeana project? http://europeana.eu/portal/

Anything that is "available on the Internet, free of charge and in multilingual format" sounds awesome to me!