Saturday, May 31, 2008

B said I was lagging on blog posts, and I have to admit I haven't finished the post about my beauty salon experience, so I'll write something else quickly.

I've been busy because
• I turned in my Masters program application to the université sciences sociales this week
• I still have physical therapy 3 times a week
• I'm tutoring a student from the IUFM a few times a week (in addition to my regular students) to help her cram for the oral exams coming up
• Somehow we got really behind on laundry and vacuuming and shopping
• I've been to a several AVF events and pointless meetings with H et H, where they still haven't decided how they're going to update their database
• I realized I have my ANPE appointment Monday and I'd only applied to 2 job offers since last month due to all of above, and so I had to whip up a few cover letters

This morning B and I are up at a decent hour (despite going to bed at 2 am because I was talking with friends and family in the States) because we have a last rehearsal with our community band for the competition/evaluation we're participating in tomorrow near Bèziers.

This afternoon I'm participating in a "marathon photo" with AVF, which is a competition to take two pictures of Toulouse in 2/3 hours that fit a theme that will be revealed at 2pm. I'm hoping my knowledge of historic buildings and the sites around Toulouse will help me, because the winning pictures will be displayed in the "Maison de Midi-Pyrénées".

The past few days, I've seen a woman from our building a few times. I noticed her because she's 65-70 years old, but never without her high heels, mini-skirt, and well coiffed hair. In the winter, she wore a fur coat that was a touch longer than her short skirts, which gave the impression she wasn't wearing a skirt... She's in good shape, I have to give it to her, but if she's trying to convince people she's 45, her efforts have been in vain. Varicose veined legs in 4 inch heels tend to give away your age (plus the wrinkles...).

B would say "Well, at least she's not dressed like your American grandmothers: pastel shorts, cutesy sweatshirt, sneakers, and white socks up to their knees," and he's right. But I have to agree with my aunt who just turned 60: "After 60, you shouldn't wear short skirts."

Well, we've got to get going, so I'll leave you with a link to Global Culture, a blog about global citizens. Oh! I just remembered that I was going to comment on the fact that more and more I find websites that are just links or pointers towards other websites, like blogs that just serve to list interesting links. Almost like there are fewer and fewer primary sources, and more and more secondary sources that point back to the originals...

1 comment:

J said...

I'm going to apply to ASSEDIC soon, but I need to wait for my new carte de sejour to arrive first. It's annoying to keep waiting all the time for something to arrive or happen. ::sigh::

LOL at how old women dress in both countries. I still find it weird to see older women wear knee high boots in France, but then again, they do seem to always be more stylish than Americans at any age.

A lot of those sites/blogs that are nothing but links to other sites are just created to earn people money on advertising. They are so annoying. People basically steal blog posts from others, add a bunch of google ads, and hope that the unsuspecting web surfer will click on the ads while looking for something better.