Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Eggs

I just finished my medium boiled eggs for breakfast (it's impossible for me to get soft boiled without a machine) and I remembered B's reaction two weeks ago to the eggs my mom pulled out of the fridge in San Diego.

"Whoaa, wait... they're white! What you did to them?!"

I think the local grocery store in SD sells some brown eggs, but they're usually "Free-range" or "Organic" (=expensive and my mom doesn't buy them). I read somewhere that the only difference is the color of the chicken's feathers. White chickens lay white eggs, and brown/beige chickens lay beige eggs.

Last spring I felt like coloring eggs for Easter and I commented on Facebook that I was sad there's no dye kits in France. Someone suggested an old "Hungarian" or other Eastern-Europe technique of tying a leaf around the egg and then dunking it in really strong tea for a while. The tea dyes the egg except where you have the leaf, leaving you with somewhat decorated eggs. Since eggs are already brown here though, this wouldn't work. But now I'm wondering if other European countries have white eggs. Is it just France that has brown chickens?

2 comments:

BlondeInFrance said...

I do the egg blowing thing and then I can paint them with real paint, or sometimes I cover them in glue and glitter and they last a very long time. But I have no idea about the chickens!

Ksam said...

It's a little bit more complicated than that - it's actually the breed (and not the color) of the chicken that determines the shell color. There are also chickens out there that lay eggs of other colors, like the Aracaunas that can lay blue, green or violet-colored eggs (and is obviously not a blue, green or violet-colored chicken, lol).