Even though B and I already exchanged gifts with his family and sat down to oysters (still so weird to me...) I plan on doing a little something for the two of us. B volunteered to be on-call at the hospital Christmas day, so we'll probably be interrupted, but hopefully it will be nice.
I was going to say I'm a week behind, but I think it's more two weeks behind: the two weeks spent in California to be exact. I just wasn't on top of it for presents this year, which meant we didn't have great presents for B's family and today I was out fighting the crowds looking for B's present. I got a late start to the day, which meant no grocery shopping before I had to tutor, and then I was ensnared by the window display at 1-2-3 and the buy-two-get-one-free offer the saleswoman said she'd give me after I mentioned my store fidelity card (and yes, the card is called Diva...).
I did get the groceries purchased this evening though, but realized while I was putting them away that I didn't pick up enough apple juice or any whole cinnamon sticks to make mulled cider. And I might not have enough ingrediants to make muffins or cookies. And gracious me, the only alcohol we have is Smirnoff ice and Apple Frost beers! No wine to go with pintade I bought for Christmas day!
Speaking of the pintade and me being way behind, I didn't special order one from my butcher but picked one of the last ones he had in the display. Result: it's a paltry 1.7 kg. There were some nice big ones special ordered and I felt like such a loser to not have ordered one. The butcher is really close to our apartment, but with all the work for my Master I just couldn't get myself organized.
And since I wasn't organized, I now I have to brave a grocery store (Carrefour...??) tomorrow (Dec 24th), day of all days. I would say screw it, but I'd really like to make a nice meal. This will be the first time that B and I are alone together for Christmas, the first two years apart, and the last two with B's family. Lucky for me my hubby doesn't mind my "weird" American creations (Angel food cake is one of his favorites!). I wonder if Carrefour has eggnog or if I'll have to mix it up myself? I've always bought it out of a carton. But then again, pumpkin purée used to come out of a can for me and I've mastered making it myself.
1 comment:
merry christmas!!!
here is an eggnog recipe my sister (in Australia) posted since you can't buy it there either. I haven't tried it yet, but if you do let me know!
EggNog
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 cups dark rum
l cup cream
1 1/2 cups milk
Pinch of salt
6 fresh egg whites
1 nutmeg
1. Whisk together egg yolks and 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar until light.
2. While whisking, slowly add rum, cream & milk, and the pinch of salt.
The Joy of Cooking suggests covering the mixture and refrigerating for one hour.
3. In another bowl, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
4. Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. I ended up using a whisk, and whisking it more than it seemed like I should so that it all got mixed in.
5. Add nutmeg to taste, and mix in more milk if it's too strong, or more rum if it's not strong enough. :)
Post a Comment