Friday, December 4, 2009

Why not Paris?

In a rapid succession of events, I'll be in Paris next weekend.

My cousin sent me a message on Facebook saying she'll be in Paris next weekend with her husband and would I be available to see them?

Of course! I replied. It's "only" 5-7 hours away depending on which train you take. Unfortunately this might end up being my Christmas present, since I don't really have 100€ to spend on train fare and metro tickets (not to mention food while I'm there). I say unfortunately just because the trip is so short: I arrive Thursday night at 9pm, and leave Sunday at 2.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing as tour guide. My cousin has never been to Paris and her husband had one day there during a business trip, so they've basically seen nothing. I figure I"ll start with Notre Dame, but I'm not sure if it would be better to visit say the Louvre or the Musée D'Orsay or spend time strolling around. It'll be cold, but it might be nicer to see the city instead of just visiting museums. There's also the problem of the big sites being so far away. The Eiffel tower is pretty much next to nothing, as is Sacré Coeur. It's probably not worth it to visit any of the gardens this time of year. There's got to be a Christmas market somewhere...

4 comments:

Amber said...

My hubby is telling me that the christmas market is on Rue Rivoli in front of the hotel de ville. Maybe hit up the Louvre and then stroll through the market?
Have a great time!

Ksam said...

There is a Christmas market at Montparnasse and at place de la concorde. And the Eiffel Tower is still doing its 12 minute special light show every night (can't remember if it's at 8 or 9pm though). Also, I haven't been there in a week or so since I was gone for work, but the Luxembourg gardens are/were still really beautiful.

Cynthia said...

There'a Christmas market on the Champs Élysée but it's dreadfully tourist-y. The one around Montparnasse is not very pretty.

Depending on what they like

Middle age: Cluny museum, Vincennes castle

Renaissance: The Palais Garnier opera house (close by you have the Galleries Lafayette)

If you have to chose between the Louvre and Orsay, the Orsay museum is much more managable than the Louvre. However, some museums might go on strike.

Notre-Dame is always great because it's such a symbol, it's free and still pretty quick to visit. You can stroll after in île St-Louis or the latin quarter. Also, I love to take tour boats around the Seine because you can see pretty much all the important monuments. :)

BlondeInFrance said...

Orsay definitely. And skip the Christmas markets to go to Angelina's on Rue Rivoli for hot chocolate! It'll be crowded but soo worth it.