Thursday, December 3, 2009

Emmy asked what I've been up to recently, so here's a list:

-put up our fake Christmas tree and our 6 tree ornaments (okay, more like 11, but our decorations are limited)

-launched butter across the kitchen onto the cabinet door as I buttered my English muffin in a freak snack time accident

-learned the hard way there are two business card sizes in France: European (index cards) and American (regular business cards); unfortunately this learning experience cost me 22€, and I can't even use them with friends because the email address was misprinted

-went to a breakfast speech by the American ambassador to France who was in Toulouse this week; there had been a ceremony for him two days before and I actually think that would have been better to attend because the speech was on the aeronautical industry and at the ceremony people actually got to shake his hand (I also came to the conclusion that you should never eat flaky pain au chocolat when you want to seem professional; you end up with crumbs all over your shirt)

-went to a France États-Unis happy hour and was peeved by the American woman from California who's lived in France for 30 years but described California to a French guy as completely over-run with illegal immigrants ("Thousands and thousands cross the border EVER DAY! And they get all kinds of social aid, which means citizens can't get it as a result"); her daughter is going to school in California and apparently didn't qualify for a scholarship at UC Davis, which she is blaming on the illegal immigrants

-went to the Toulouse Game Show with B, which was a mix of video games, manga, Japanese culture, Stargate, Star Wars, card games like Magic the Gathering, and of course NoLife, the independent French tv station dedicated to everything I just mentioned

-discovered unsweetened chocolate next to the hot chocolate powder at the grocery store (I've been looking for unsweetened chocolate for forever)

-became a fan of MyAmericanMarket on Facebook and signed up for the newsletter which gives you 10% off your next order

-explained the differences between few and less, twice, and prompted students with 'fork', 'spoon', 'knife', and explained how comparatives and superlatives are formed

-had a networking lunch with an alum from my French master; I didn't learn a ton, but it was still informational, he promised to email my résumé around, and he surprised me by paying for my lunch

And today I was kind enough to straighten up our apartment before B gets home from work because he invited two friends over, and I did all the dishes from preparing macaroni and cheese for my Accueil des Villes Françaises pot-luck tonight. Speaking of which, time to go eat!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I always thought it was funny that that channel is called NoLife since the "french word" nolife has a negative connotation, as it does in English. You'd think they would have gone with something more positive about gaming instead of drawing attention to the addictive nature of it.

I had no idea there was another business card size. I will have to remember that if I need cards someday (for my non-existant career...)

We have a grand total of 8 ornaments, but I didn't bother with a tree this year. I decorated with lots of window cling-ons and garland and lights though.

L said...

When I got the index card size cards I was rather incredulous, and I asked several times "But, who actually uses these? How could you understand this when I said 'business' card?" The woman responded that they're the size to go in an envelope and often used to write a little message. To which I responded "Yeah, but I don't want to mail it, I asked for business cards to present myself. How is this a business card?" Unfortunately they make you pay in advance, so I couldn't renege.

And as for NoLife, at least one of their slogans is 'Parce qu'il n'y a pas que la vraie vie dans la vie.'