Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Serial starter

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to create personal goals while job searching because it keeps you working towards something at a time when you don't have any professional accomplishments.

I'm still occasionally working on learning German, but I've decided I really want to attack my serial starter habit. If you're like me, you have a ton of bookmarks because they are invariably "lost" in books started, but never finished. On my night stand, I currently have a book on convergence media/technology, another on the history of ad agencies, the second volume of the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, and a poetic/self realization book called 'The Invitation" that I've actually read at least twice before and started to read again several months ago.

I also have a bookmark stuck in a collection of short stories by Willa Cather, a Flannery O'Connor collection, and The Unbearable Lightness of Being (all three of which I started before we moved to Toulouse). And I just saw a Terry Pratchett novel I started back when I was studying in Montpellier but never finished. Ouch, that's almost 5 years.

So before the New Year I'm going to try to finish the half read books on my night stand. None of them are particularly difficult and they're all in English, so it shouldn't be so hard. It's a little sad to realize that I'm not much of a bookworm like I used to be as a kid, but then again back then I wasn't reading on the internet or spending time watching videos of Maru. Here's to kicking the serial starter habit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with your project! I love aquiring books but never getting round to reading them. It soothes me knowing I have them and IF I have to the time, I COULD read them.

Did you ever start your stage? What have you been doing with yourself, reading aside?

L said...

No, I still haven't started my internship, although the woman at Airbus assures me she's working on it. I'm waiting to hear back about a job I interviewed for, and trying to network and improve my general profile (LinkedIn, Viadeo, APEC, etc). That and watching videos of Maru and reading old Economists at the gym on the stair master.